Dear Alumni and Friends,
With well over 100 undergraduate majors and minors and 19 full-time faculty, our department offers one of the strongest programs in Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures in the country. What do students find special about our department? Christopher Piccirillo ’18, one of our newly declared majors, explains, “I really enjoy the discussion-based courses that make time to explore various points of view and ideas brought forth by students. This freedom to discuss not only improves spoken language skills but also characterizes exactly what I want to get out of my time as an undergraduate—critical thinking.”
Every year we teach more than 1,500 students, whether in language courses, upper-level seminars in literature, culture, and film, or popular outreach courses taken by undergraduates from across campus. We are enormously proud of our alumni, whether they go into business, medicine, law, government service, the arts, academia, or the non-profit sector.
Our world-class faculty and the exceptional students who come to study at Carolina are key to the success of our department. Private support from alumni and friends has played an equally crucial role. In the past, private giving has enabled us to:
- support extracurricular activities such as our weekly conversation hours— Kaffeestunde, Попойка and Kawiarenka, the activities of the German Club, and the annual Spektakl’, a spring semester showcase presented by Slavic language students;
- give awards recognizing the excellence of our students;
- support student research and travel;
- recruit the very best graduate students in the nation; and
- support the faculty research that makes it possible for us to continue to develop innovative and exciting courses for our students.
Please consider making a gift to the Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literature today. You can click here to make your gift online, or visit the department’s website and click on “Support GSLL” to make a gift.